The conglomeration of ammonites were found in Stockton quarry nearby. The others in fields and ponds around Wolfhamcote. Pictures here in the Photo section.
The land of Thornkil of Warwick in Marton Hundred
The same Thorkil holds WOLFHAMPCOTE. There are 41/2 hides. there is land for 3 ploughs. in demesne is 1 [plough], and 4 slaves; and 7 villans with a priest and 10 bordars have 4 ploughs. There are 5 acres of meadow. It was and is worth 40s. Eskil held it freely TRE.
From Thorkil, 4 brothers hold in WOLFHAMPCOTE 1 hide and half a virgate of land. There is land for 2 ploughs, and yet there are 3 ploughs, and 3 acres of meadow. it was and is worth 20s. The same men themselves held it, and were free.
Enough land to support a free family and dependents.
As much land as could be tilled with one plough in a year.
So size dependent on quality of land.
Averaging 30 acres but varying greatly
A division under the fuedal system consisting of a number of houses and adjacent lands
In the Feudal system, demesne (also spelled desmesne; via Old French demeine from Latin dominium) was all the land, not necessarily all contiguous to the Manor House, that was retained by a lord for his own use – as distinguished from land “alienated” or granted to others (alieni) as freehold tenants.
Occupier of land in the feudal vill
A villein of the lowest rank, who held a cottage at his lords pleasure, for which he rendered menial service
First recorded facts Geoffrey de Langeley puts a chaplain in charge.
The will and inventory of John Good is here
Thanks to Bob Houghton for the translation
Authorized by the act of the 28th of march 1794. the canal was slated to go from Warwick to Birmingham and then to Oxford. the lines name was changed to the Oxford canal at Napton. the canal officially opened on 19 December 1799.
New Church of St Mark’s built in Flecknoe. The vicar’s letter.
The Great Central line opens.
Looters voilate coffin for jewels. Daventry weekly Express 14 November 1952.
It is proposed to move the church to a housing estate in Nuneaton. Reported in The Coventry Evening Telegraph Friday December 27, 1957.
The friends of Wolfhampcote Church formed under the chairmanship of poet laureate Sir John Betjeman