These two watercolours are by Bradford Rudge dated 1838-9. The originals can be found in Rudge’s sketchbooks at Cecil Higgins Art Gallery and Bedford Museum.
They show that the Mausoleum was already there by 1838-9, and also that the chancel was only restored (not rebuilt) in 1848.
Bradford Rudge was born in Coventry in 1813 and was educated at Rugby School. He became interested in sketching and watercolours and then went on to become the first drawing master at the Boys Commercial (Modern) school in Bedford. By his death in 1885 he had become a renowned artist.
Source of biographical information: Linda Ayres. Visit Foster Hill road cemetery website for more information.